No, we are not talking about a bunch of people eating something tasty. We are talking about a stage when Mom and Dad impact your life. The traditional meaning of sandwich generation means that you have aging parents who need your help while you are trying to finish off the job of raising your own kids. If you are really lucky, you can be part of the club sandwich generation which means that you are somewhere between 50 and 60 years of age, stuck between aging parents, adult children and grandchildren. Or if you are really precocious, you can be only 30 and 40’s with young children, aging parents and grandparents.
Lucky you! You can feel as sexy as a cow tongue sandwich! Remember, you are the meat that keeps the bread stuck together.
10 tips for Caretakers-
- Note the fat toddlers in the neighborhood in case your parent’s supply of Depends runs out
- Sippy cups can actually work well for cocktail parties.
- Getting into a nursing home is way easier than a nursery or private school
- Your 9 to 5 workday is actually your chance for breaks such as long lunches, gazing out the window or surfing websites for clothes.
- Trips to the hospital can actually be a good place to people watch, i.e. cute doctors.
- Take Note: When grocery shopping, always take a coat to throw over the bags of Depends. Compassionate caregiver is not the first description of you in the mind of a passerby.
- You can buy a good-looking vehicle to chauffeur, it just must be low to the ground and have blackout windows
- Furniture slipcovers were actually invented by someone in the sandwich generation.